Salt-Crusted Pork Loin is another one of those easy to make/cook recipes that I love to share. Big on flavor and the wow factor, you will find yourself adding this to the must make recipe collection, and making it again and again. I used a large 10″ Camp Dutch oven for this recipe based on the size of the Pork loin which was about one-third of a whole Pork loin. One-half of a Pork loin would fit nicely in a 12″ regular Dutch oven and a whole Pork loin would fit in an Oval-roaster perfectly.
A couple of notes on the video:
- I used about 28 coals total. 20 to start with and 8 more at 45 mins to continue the 1 hour and 10 minute cook time.
- I do recommend using rock salt for this recipe only because it makes removing the salt from the Salt-Crusted Pork Loin easier.
- Though I added potatoes and onions to my recipe, it is not necessary for you to do the same, in fact, I felt that the onions absorbed too much salt from the cook and I won’t be adding them again. The potatoes where fabulous!
Equipment used on the show:
Camp Chef Deluxe 10″ Dutch Oven – http://amzn.to/2F1KwZ2
Lodge A5-7 Camp Dutch Oven Cooking Table – http://amzn.to/2C7P2zI
Kingsford Original Charcoal Briquettes, 12.9 Pound Bag (Pack of 2) – http://amzn.to/2Eij7Cg
iGrill2 thermometer – http://amzn.to/1u9zo23
- 3 lbs coarse Kosher salt (rock salt is preferred)
- 4 – 5 tbs water
- 3 – 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 – 3 lbs pork loin
- 4 – 6 whole sage leaves
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Rince and pat dry pork loin.
- Score through the fat cap, deeply and in a cross-hatch pattern.
- Mix together 2 tbsp of olive oil, black pepper, minced parsley, minced sage, minced rosemary, and minced garlic.
- Spread mix over the scored fat cap on pork loin and work into cuts.
- Insert a thermometer into center of pork loin.
- Pre-heat Dutch oven.
- Pour remainder of olive oil into Dutch oven.
- Place pork loin in Dutch oven.
- Top with whole sage leaves.
- Mix water and salt together.
- Cover pork loin with salt.
- Cover with Dutch oven lid and place coals as required.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 140 °F.
- Remove heat and rest pork loin for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove salt cap.
- Brush remaining salt off of pork loin, cut and serve.
Here are some additional blog posts that will help you be a better Dutch oven Cook: