My White Chicken Chili Recipe has a pleasant kick to it! I changed things up with some classic Cajun seasoning instead of the standard Cumin and Oregano. Let this be fair warning, you might get the sweats if you add too much. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare and cook, perfect for the Dutch oven and cooking outdoors! Most of the ingredients can be prepared in advance if you plan to take this recipe camping.
A 12-inch Dutch oven is a perfect size for this White Chicken Chili Recipe and a 10 inch will work just fine if that’s all you have. We managed to get two meals out of this recipe and I have two teenage break the bank eaters at home too!
I used two techniques for thickening the White Chicken Chili Recipe. First was a flour rue using just a tablespoon of flour and second was mashing a half can of beans to add at the end of the cook if necessary. White Chili is typically soupish inconsistency and is often thickened with heavy cream or sour cream, not the easiest to have on hand if you are camping.
Video editing provided by Kaydrah Communications
Equipment used in this episode:
(Full disclosure – I receive a small commission if you purchase anything through these links, your pricing does not change)
Weber® Rapidfire Chimney Charcoal Starter – http://amzn.to/X7irW6
Camp Chef DO-12 Pre Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black http://amzn.to/2C8RhCw
Lodge A5-7 Camp Dutch Oven Cooking Table http://amzn.to/2C7P2zI
Kingsford Original Charcoal Briquettes, 12.9 Pound Bag (Pack of 2) http://amzn.to/2Eij7Cg
- 1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 pat of butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp flour (optional)
- 1 tsp black pepper ( optional – white pepper)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3 cans white cannellini beans, drained, (optional – reserve ½ can beans to thicken chili)
- 32 oz chicken stock
- diced green onions
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- Pre-heat Dutch oven with coals on bottom.
- Add olive oil
- When the oil is hot add chicken.
- Cook till chicken starts browning, do not overcook.
- Add cajun seasoning and stir well to coat chicken.
- Remove chicken, set aside, and reserve any liquid left in Dutch oven.
- Add butter to Dutch oven and melt.
- Add onions and celery.
- Sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for just a few minutes.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven and stir to mix well.
- Optional – add flour to chicken mixture and stir until flour is fully incorporated.
- Add black pepper and diced green chilies.
- Add beans, reserving ½ can.
- Add reserved liquid.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Optional – mash reserved beans and add to thicken.
- Serve with assorted toppings.